Prepare yourself the right way for supermarket shopping and you’ll come home with a healthy hamper.
Here are some tips to ensure a successful shopping experience.
- Plan your meals so you know what ingredients to add to the list.
- Check your fridge and pantry to see what supplies you need.
- Develop a routine, whether it’s small, regular shops or larger less frequent shops. Consistency helps maintain your healthy eating pattern.
- Make a shopping list and stick to it to avoid impulse buying.
- Learn your supermarket layout so you know where to find things.
- Organise your shopping list to coordinate with the store layout.
- Don’t shop when you are hungry, stressed, bored or rushed.
- Eat something before you shop or eat a healthy snack in-store.
- To reduce stress, avoid shopping when stores are crowded.
- Leave the kids at home to avoid their pester power.
- Carry a basket for small shops, then there is a limit on how much you can buy.
- Choose a good trolley for big shops. Wrestling with a dodgy trolley can leave you frustrated and in need of a quick food fix.
- Shop for fresh produce first and grab a couple of salads.
- Simply avoid the confectionary aisle if you know you’ll come out of it with high-calorie items in your trolley.
- Ask for help to find items rather than wander into temptation.
- Choose a ‘confectionary-free’ checkout or when at the checkout, focus your eyes away from the goodies.
It may look easy, but many of us get trapped with the supposedly easy tasks, which end up the most difficult to manage.
Thank you to Mat O’Neill from smartshape.com.au for providing this information.